[Peeweelinux] Project: Linux powered picture frame. PWL a good match?

Ken Kirchner [email protected]
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:54:04 +0300

Hi all,

    I am in the process of making my own digital picture frame using an
old laptop (IBM Thinkpad X20).  Here's basically what I want the system
to do on bootup:

	1 - Load the system into RAM
	2 - Initialize the WiFi LAN card (Prism based) and get a DHCP address
(or static, not too important which)
	3 - Mount an NFS partition
	4 - Start a slideshow using 'zgv' and SVGAlib reading jpg's from the
NFS mounted dir
	5 - Continue step 4 until the universe collapses.

The Thinkpad has been fitted with a 128MB CF card and adaptor. It is
successfully booting to a DOS prompt currently.  I have another X20
laptop which I plan to use as a development system for this project. It
is ideally suited IMHO since it has Redhat 9 installed and a built in
CF slot.

I dont know if PWL is really suited for this or not.  I cant find much
about it's WiFi PCMCIA support in the archives.  My other idea is to
strip down a RH9 install and use a heavily stripped down kernel.  I am
reading the bootdisk HOW-TO and it doesnt seem extremely complicated,
but I dont want to re-invent the wheel or delay the project so long I
forget about it (like a lot of my projects end up <sigh>).

What do you all recommend?

-Ken