[Peeweelinux] Disk on Chip 2000 questions

Mark Meade [email protected]
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:17:44 -0500

On Friday 07 February 2003 03:36 pm, Slim wrote:
> I found Mark Meade's http://www.lakeshoremicro.com/peewee.doc
> I'll give that a try if I can get a kernel built.  Looks like
> I may need to buy a pci carrier board to speed this up.
> I'll check the HOWTO you mentioned - thanks.

> > On 2003.02.07 10:28 Slim wrote:
> > > I've built the custom kernel with M-systems support, and
> > > booted my pc/104 cpu via floppy.  I see /dev/fla* devices,
> > > but now I'm not sure how to access them.  My goal is booting
> > > from the doc 2000, with read/write access to it for logging.
> > > The cpu is Real Time Devices CMM6686GX233.  I'd like to be
> > > able to install the system without resorting to a hard drive
> > > if possible.  I do have an ethernet board I can use though.
> > > Any advice appreciated.

FWIW, keep in mind that my instructions use the open-source "MTD" parts of the
Linux kernel for DiskOnChip support.  This has a number of advantages over
using the M-Sys binary-only drivers: access to the source code, support on
the Linux MTD mailing list, etc.

Also, I have had better luck using GRUB rather than Lilo.  There are patches
available for adding DiskOnChip support to Grub, but the procedure is
somewhat complex.

The ISA or PCI eval board sure comes in handy.  Highly recommended!

Mark