[Peeweelinux] Disk on Chip 2000 questions

Slim [email protected]
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 08:32:28 -0800 (PST)

Using redhat 8.0, I copied the /usr/src tree to a temp space to compile.
Everything went ok until make install.  While it ran the install script:

+ exec /sinb/installkernel 2.4.18-14custom bzImage
/mnt/b/kernel/linux-2.4.18-14/System.map
All of your loopback devices are in use.
make[1]:  *** [install] Error 1

I tried manually copying the bzImage to /boot, and adding a second entry in
grub.conf:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14) Disk On Chip 2000
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /bzImage.doc ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img

this I copied from the original entry and changed only the name of the
image file from vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 to bzImage.doc.

On boot, the kernel panics with:

Mounting root filesystem
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ext3, errno = 2
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k freeext3, errno = 2
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 164k freed
Kernel painc: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

What did I miss?  Did the failed make install cause the kernel root filesystem
problem?

Thanks,
Slim