[Peeweelinux] gunzipping ramdisk

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:26:28 -0700 (PDT)

>I would like to mount the ramdisk residing on flash (running PWL on a
>DOC2000) so changes can be made and then saved again. After mounting the
>DOC under PWL, I tried to unzip the ramdisk so I could mount it for
>editing. What was a 1.3Meg file ballooned to more than 30Meg after
>unzipping the file. I wasn't sure of the exact size because it ran out
>of ramdisk space. Surely, 1.3Meg can possibly expand THAT much?!?. I had
>renamed "ramdisk" to "ramdisk.gz" and then tried running "gunzip
>ramdisk.gz" What is the correct command to unzip the ramdisk?
>Thanks,
>Stephen

gunzip file should do it.  These programs are generally smart
enough to tell you if your file isn't a zip file.   It _is_ possible
to compress a file 100:1  especially if it is
an empty file.

The file system that appears there should be the compressed version
of the one pwl built.  cd to to the projects directory, to the
name of your project, and then to mnt.    Then, issue the
du -h    command to see how much got put in there.   It may
be possible to create a lot of empty space through the pwl
configurations but I'm not sure of that and I'm not much good
looking at their scripts.

Barry