[Peeweelinux] gunzipping ramdisk

Stephen Lee [email protected]
18 Apr 2003 17:49:12 -0700

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 16:26, Barry Gershenfeld wrote:
> >I would like to mount the ramdisk residing on flash (running PWL on a
> >DOC2000) so changes can be made and then saved again. After mounting the
> >DOC under PWL, I tried to unzip the ramdisk so I could mount it for
> >editing. What was a 1.3Meg file ballooned to more than 30Meg after
> >unzipping the file. I wasn't sure of the exact size because it ran out
> >of ramdisk space. Surely, 1.3Meg can possibly expand THAT much?!?. I had
> >renamed "ramdisk" to "ramdisk.gz" and then tried running "gunzip
> >ramdisk.gz" What is the correct command to unzip the ramdisk?
> >Thanks,
> >Stephen
>
> gunzip file should do it.  These programs are generally smart
> enough to tell you if your file isn't a zip file.   It _is_ possible
> to compress a file 100:1  especially if it is
> an empty file.
>
> The file system that appears there should be the compressed version
> of the one pwl built.  cd to to the projects directory, to the
> name of your project, and then to mnt.    Then, issue the
> du -h    command to see how much got put in there.   It may
> be possible to create a lot of empty space through the pwl
> configurations but I'm not sure of that and I'm not much good
> looking at their scripts.
Thanks Barry. I was hoping to be able to make permanent changes to the
ramdisk file while running pwl/doc. Is there any other way other than to
uncompress the whole ramdisk file to the ramdisk? Ultimately I would
like to make modifications to lilo.conf or any other file in pwl without
having to pull out the DOC and doing it in a reader.

Thanks,
Stephen
--
[email protected]