[Peeweelinux] PeeWee on hard drive partition

Ricardo Trindade [email protected]
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:07:57 +0100

I used peewee for a while in a partition, before the CF arrived.

the simplest way would be to .tgz the mnt directory of your project after
extracting files, and copying it to the partition, the booting it the way
you prefer.

worked fine for me. this way I was running from disk, not ramdrive.

ricardo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Barry Gershenfeld
Sent: quinta-feira, 25 de Julho de 2002 22:49
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Peeweelinux] PeeWee on hard drive partition

So, I thought, I should target a hard drive on a computer, that
will let me get used to running the IDE interface and give me
some room to start building the real application.

I made a little space at the end of the second drive on my host
system and figured I'd write it there.  Should work, no?

Well, nobody really uses a hard drive for embedded work.  A flash
IDE drive is supported, but the instructions seem to indicate
that the master boot record gets written, which isn't what I'm
looking for.  So I choose a floppy, and lie to it that the
floppy is at /dev/hdb11.  It writes out fine, the partition
is a DOS filesystem with the kernel and ramdisk and boot files.
I tell the host system lilo to add that image.   All is OK.

Except that when I go there, syslinux starts and wants to read
everything off the floppy drive.

Last night I went to the syslinux site and it looks like I can
change the drive syslinux is reading from...if I can actually
get the BIOS to recognize an extended partition on the second
drive.  Failing that, I think DOS will see it and I can use
LOADLIN to start it.   Eventually I could probably work it
out with lilo if I knew what peewee did for each option.
Still, it's all a temporary step on the way to the real target.

Tinkering is fun.

Barry