[Peeweelinux] PeeWee on hard drive partition

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

So, I thought, I should target a hard drive on a computer, that
will let me get used to running the IDE interface and give me
some room to start building the real application.

I made a little space at the end of the second drive on my host
system and figured I'd write it there.  Should work, no?

Well, nobody really uses a hard drive for embedded work.  A flash
IDE drive is supported, but the instructions seem to indicate
that the master boot record gets written, which isn't what I'm
looking for.  So I choose a floppy, and lie to it that the
floppy is at /dev/hdb11.  It writes out fine, the partition
is a DOS filesystem with the kernel and ramdisk and boot files.
I tell the host system lilo to add that image.   All is OK.

Except that when I go there, syslinux starts and wants to read
everything off the floppy drive.

Last night I went to the syslinux site and it looks like I can
change the drive syslinux is reading from...if I can actually
get the BIOS to recognize an extended partition on the second
drive.  Failing that, I think DOS will see it and I can use
LOADLIN to start it.   Eventually I could probably work it
out with lilo if I knew what peewee did for each option.
Still, it's all a temporary step on the way to the real target.

Tinkering is fun.

Barry