[Peeweelinux] X windows system problem.www.lin

Ken Emmons, Jr. [email protected]
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:45:16 -0400

Hello,

I have an embedded system using peewee and X. I want a GUI to fire up (a statically linked gtk app) when I boot the PC and stay there in focus all the time without anyone being able to "send it to the background". This sounds very familiar with your application.

What I do is in the default runlevel I SU to a certain user, say autoboot for nomenclature. In the autoboot users bash profile, I have a command for startx. Then I put a .xinitrc file in the users directory so that that gets used instead of the default system xinit script. In short it looks like this:

#/home/autoboot/.profile
~./bashrc

#/home/autoboot/.bashrc
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx

#/home/autoboot/.xinitrc
/usr/bin/YourXAppToRun

Make sure that all the paths are right of course. For the .xinitrc file I copied the one that came with Peewee and then modified by removing all calls to xterm and xclock and other programs (including window manager) and just inserted a call to my app. Everything works fine for me, I never loose focus and since it is the only app I need to run everythign is fine.

What I have in this example is basically a generic autobooting X server for VGA16 (why can't every video card just support VESA standard VGA256!!) You could replace my app with any app you want, so I was wondering if anyone would want to have an example of my project after its been genericized. Let me know if anyone is interested.

~Ken