[Peeweelinux] X windows system problem.www.lin

Ricardo Trindade [email protected]
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:59:59 +0100

I do this in a different manner, I edit a runlevel (usually 4), and add a
service(my application). I guess both are good ways to do it.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Ken Emmons, Jr.
Sent: terca-feira, 9 de Julho de 2002 14:45
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Peeweelinux] X windows system problem.www.lin

Hello,

I have an embedded system using peewee and X. I want a GUI to fire up (a
statically linked gtk app) when I boot the PC and stay there in focus all
the time without anyone being able to "send it to the background". This
sounds very familiar with your application.

What I do is in the default runlevel I SU to a certain user, say autoboot
for nomenclature. In the autoboot users bash profile, I have a command for
startx. Then I put a .xinitrc file in the users directory so that that gets
used instead of the default system xinit script. In short it looks like
this:

#/home/autoboot/.profile
~./bashrc

#/home/autoboot/.bashrc
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx

#/home/autoboot/.xinitrc
/usr/bin/YourXAppToRun

Make sure that all the paths are right of course. For the .xinitrc file I
copied the one that came with Peewee and then modified by removing all calls
to xterm and xclock and other programs (including window manager) and just
inserted a call to my app. Everything works fine for me, I never loose focus
and since it is the only app I need to run everythign is fine.

What I have in this example is basically a generic autobooting X server for
VGA16 (why can't every video card just support VESA standard VGA256!!) You
could replace my app with any app you want, so I was wondering if anyone
would want to have an example of my project after its been genericized. Let
me know if anyone is interested.

~Ken