[Peeweelinux] General Information for Project

Tom Schneider [email protected]
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 07:03:12 -0600

Barry Gershenfeld wrote:

>>How fast is CF when booting up? Would it be quicker than a hard drive?
>>

>CF is not as fast as a hard drive, from what I can find.  Especially
>on writes, which may not matter here.   One thing peewee does in
>this configuration (compressed ramdisk on memory card) on startup
>is to copy the filesystem into RAM, which can take a few seconds.

We're using disk-on-chip which is significantly faster than a hard
driver for both reading and writing. (At least from what I've seen)  I
would think that CF would be just as fast, but I'm no expert on these
matters.

>>When people are talking about small linux distribution of PeeWee how small can
>>I get it?  I need to have MySQL and Perl installed - is this realistic in a
>>128MB card for example?
>>Paul Nuzzo
>>

>It ought to be enough.  Peewee is very small, so the question
>becomes, "how big is MySQL + perl ?"  I'd like to know
>that myself for future planning.

Our testing shows that MySQL is roughly 10 megs for a base install
(binary and empty database).  I'm not sure about perl. (we did java and
that was another 5 megs after we trimmed down the JVM)  Ultimately we
chose not do use MySQL because of licensing issues.  By the way, we're
running on a 64 meg disk-on-chip and had postgres, the JVM, ppp, the
latest kernel and a decent set of utilities running with room to spare.