[Peeweelinux] General Information for Project

Ken Emmons, Jr. [email protected]
Tue, 03 Dec 2002 10:06:01 -0500

Disk on chip and CF are generally slower than hard disk. Disk on chip is probably slower because it uses a 8 bit data bus over ISA which is very slow. CF uses the generic ATA interface and is therefore 16 bit data I beleive. In my experience flash is slower than hard disk, especially writes, which is not relaly a problem with PeeWee since you are not interested in writing data to the drive at run time, typically (I.e.. you are using RAM Disk). If you find yourself using the disk for writes, you might want to use a hard drive.

~Ken

Barry Gershenfeld wrote:

>>How fast is CF when booting up? Would it be quicker than a hard drive?
>>

>CF is not as fast as a hard drive, from what I can find.  Especially
>on writes, which may not matter here.   One thing peewee does in
>this configuration (compressed ramdisk on memory card) on startup
>is to copy the filesystem into RAM, which can take a few seconds.

We're using disk-on-chip which is significantly faster than a hard
driver for both reading and writing. (At least from what I've seen)  I
would think that CF would be just as fast, but I'm no expert on these
matters.

>>When people are talking about small linux distribution of PeeWee how small can
>>I get it?  I need to have MySQL and Perl installed - is this realistic in a
>>128MB card for example?
>>Paul Nuzzo
>>

>It ought to be enough.  Peewee is very small, so the question
>becomes, "how big is MySQL + perl ?"  I'd like to know
>that myself for future planning.

Our testing shows that MySQL is roughly 10 megs for a base install
(binary and empty database).  I'm not sure about perl. (we did java and
that was another 5 megs after we trimmed down the JVM)  Ultimately we
chose not do use MySQL because of licensing issues.  By the way, we're
running on a 64 meg disk-on-chip and had postgres, the JVM, ppp, the
latest kernel and a decent set of utilities running with room to spare.