[Peeweelinux] EXTRAVERSION

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:08:39 -0700 (PDT)

>If you are using pwlconfig to compile the kernel, the scripts will modify
>EXTRAVERSION I believe.

I think I proved that.  The question was how, or what?  If it is
being erased on purpose then there is probably a reason.  If it is
being substituted from elsewhere then if I know the location of
'elsewhere' I could put it there and be happy.

They warned me that when compiling kernels, it's a good idea to
change EXTRAVERSION so that the modules built with one kernel
don't accidentally wind up in another.   Your packaging scheme
makes this less likely, though you never want to underestimate
the ingeniousness of fools...

I understand that Ralph wrote a lot of the scripts and so you
don't have all the answers.  It's also obvious you guys don't
have a lot of time to throw at this.   I'm trying to get a
clue for the design behind the scripts so that I can find some
of my own answers.   I do like the way the options are keyed
to file and directory names.  Makes it easy to know what
to choose.   It also lets me manage them (rename or delete)
from outside pwlconfig without having to know too much.

>If you need to make changes to the kernel sources beyond whats
>configurable in pwlconfig, I would suggest building a kernel using
>prestine kernel sources and including the resulting kernel and modules as
>custom files.

I'm really trying to "stay inside the lines" until such time that I
really know what I'm doing.

My question is: Are there modifications to the code here, or
are all the packages "stock"?   I see a lot of "roll your own"
suggestions but I keep thinking there are some "tweaks" applied
that make the target system work.   I mean changes to code,
not things like simplyfying startup scripts.   It's a question
of whether I can expect to be able to go get some package
and be able to use it as is.   I was surprised that you
can apparently use a 2.4 kernel "as is".   Namely because
I also hear talk like "updating peewee to be able to use
a 2.4 kernel".   Maybe these are all library issues?

I've got a system now, with a reconfigured kernel, network drivers,
and I am able to ping other addresses.  Now I'm working on
making thttpd work.   Doubtless you'll hear about that soon :)

Thanks for all your effort.

Barry