[Peeweelinux] thttpd web server Q+A, net-pf-10

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:49:09 -0700 (PDT)

With my embedded system actually running, I try to start
the web server.  From the command prompt, I type thttpd
and I get:

  modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-10

(Your mileage may vary on this one, since I have a funny
configuration issue at this time: depmod needs to be run
first, but it doesn't; then something tries to modprobe
and I don't know who (probably network) is doing it).

Anyway, research on net-pf-10 turns out to be a reference
to IPV6, which is something thttpd claims to be capable of,
so I believe it.  Further research claims the fix is
to "alias net-pf-10 off".

The problem with this is, the shell I get (ash?) does not
support aliases, and the shell is apparently where aliases
come from.   Attempts to put bash on there gives me a
different shell, but prompts, command history, aliases, and
so on don't work.  (Probably a configuration issue but
I'm in too deep already).  Maybe if I could get rid of
the attempt to access net-pf-10 I could dispense with all
this alias stuff.

But all the above is not real.  Such is the price of trying
to build these things  yourself.   After repeatedly trying
to run ps I finally got that put into the target, and once
I was able to do ps ax, I found that thttpd was running
already, and had been the whole time.   In fact, the
error I get is from running it at the command line when
it's running already, and though I don't know why it says
what it says, it is a non-problem since the server's already
running.

I still have to start eth0 by hand, but that's next on the list.

Barry