Silent booting

Adi Linden [email protected]
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 00:36:19 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

> Change this to "Additional Boot Parms 'append = ':" and it will work for
> me!  ;^)

Yup, created an 'Append Options:' section under boot options. Entering
debug=0 should do the trick!

> This works too, and is even better as it plays right into the embedded
> OS theme of pwl. As a side note, maybe this same configuration option
> can be used to silence the startup scripts as well.

Append is useful for other things, too. Like sending paramters to driver
compiled into a monolithic kernel. That's why I decided to go that route.

It's fairly easy to probe the kernel for boot paramters. There's something
in /proc somewhere... So the next step would be to test for the debug=0
statement in the boot scripts and silence the boot scripts if it's found.
Hmmm... there was a way to redirect all output from a script to /dev/null
by simply including a statement at the beginning of the script....

TTYL,
Adi