Silent booting

Dean Brown [email protected]
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:03:13 -0800

Adi Linden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I notice that the framebuffer support is no longer enabled in the
> > 2.2.17-basic kernel, but is in the 2.2.17-full. Is this intentional?
>
> An ommission when I build the new kernel. The kernel will change a bit
> with the next release. I will make sure that the basic kernel has frame
> buffer support again.

Great, Thanks!

> > This would work, but it would be nice to be able to include an external
> > file in the lilo.conf file. This might be difficult to do cleanly
> > however. On that note, where is the lilo.conf file stored at that is
> > actually used to install lilo onto the CF device? I'm using the read
> > only root filesystem as a target.
>
> The target load scripts create a Embedded_Build/tmp/lilo.conf file. This
> is used to lilo the target device. The tmp directory contains other
> goodies as well. There is a rd.log file that contains the output of all
> the commands run during the target load process. It's a good place to look
> for hints if a load failed. In a future release I intend to make rd.log
> accessible ofter a failed installation attempt to aid in troubleshooting.
> The tmp directory is used to store syslinux.cfg, ramdisk images, initrd
> images, etc... Anything temporary created by the target build scripts. I
> don't think I am cleaning up so those files should stay around until
> they're overwritten by a subsequent run.

This is good information. I can use this to tweak a build in a way that
I can't do now.

> I looked at the custom lilo option deal I proposed earlier. I ran into a
> 'little' problem. The proper lilo command for debug (and other options)
> is:
>
>     append = "debug=0"
>
> The quotes are a problem. Most other lilo options do not require quotes.
> Since all the options are stored in shell variables the quotes get lost.
> So I could add an option like:

So you can't just dump the shell variable into the lilo.conf file to
allow for generic additions to the configuration.

>     Additional Boot Parms:

Change this to "Additional Boot Parms 'append = ':" and it will work for
me!  ;^)

> Except how can it be made clear these appear after a pwlconfig generated
> 'append = ' statement?
>
> Since the siletn boot is a desired option and an intended feature of PWL
> it should be possible to enable it in pwlconfig... I guess another option
> would be a mere:
>
>     Show Boot Messages:
>
> parameter that requires a yes/no answer...
>
> Ideas...???

This works too, and is even better as it plays right into the embedded
OS theme of pwl. As a side note, maybe this same configuration option
can be used to silence the startup scripts as well.

--

It took them 15 years to catch up... Now they never will!

Privileged and Confidential communication. If you are not the addressee,
you may not read, copy, or distribute this email. This email is not for
public use or knowledge. If you receive this email in error, please
advise
us by return email. Thank you.

Dean Brown
Director of Hardware