[Peeweelinux] FTP server & Web Server

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 16:39:30 -0700 (PDT)

Daniel,

That was some pretty useful information in your recent post about
creating packages.  Due to sparse documentation--and lack of
equivalent experience--I am trying to work out how the packages
are built (and creative uses for rpm & tar).

I am trying to follow your suggestions with rpm and I ran into
some difficulty.

I downloaded a small package at random to try this with.
I made a few tweaks to your sample command line:

>shell $ rpm -i --root /temporary/directory/to/install --nodeps
>--noscripts --force --nodeps --notriggers --dbpath= ./rpm.db
>--ignorearch --ignoreos myftppackage-i386.rpm

1. --nodeps is mentioned twice.
2. dbpath shouldn't have an = sign after it.
3. dbpath is a directory, not a file.
4. from what I can tell, --dbpath is relative to --root.  In
   fact, rpm version 3 demands both paths start with /

I created a directory in my home directory called tarpit.
I created a directory in that directory called rdata.
I issued this command:

$  rpm -i --root /home/phpmaker/tarpit/ --nodeps --noscripts --notriggers
--force --dbpath /rdata --ignorearch --ignoreos gtactoe-0.2.1-1.i386.rpm

  error: cannot open Basenames index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)

I tried an init db (an effort left over from earlier difficulties)
$ rpm -initdb --root /home/phpmaker/tarpit/ --dbpath /rdata

It doesn't help.

The rpm -i did create two files (Name and Packages) in the rdata
directory so I think it is interpreting the command as I intend.

I have done all my peewee work on a RH7.3 system (never had trouble
except I had to discover kgcc when building a kernel), but
given Scott McKay's recent problems with rpm, I booted up
6.2 and tried this there.  (7.3 uses rpm 4; 6.2 has rpm 3.)
On 6.2 I get similar results, but for the install I actually
get no error messages.  But I don't get any files extracted, either!

I wonder if you could actually try the command and see what happens.

At least the tar command in the second step doesn't look exotic.  And I
may have to build the file trees by hand if I can't get this rpm
trick to work.

Barry