[Peeweelinux] Fits on a floppy?

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:21:45 -0700 (PDT)

ricardo wrote:
>I wouldn't worry very much about the floppy. peewee wasn't (I think) really
>intended for this, it's a small distribution, not a "micro" :)

I though someone might say that theirs fits with room to spare and
that it didn't fit until they figured out they had to do such-and-such.
But it looks like that's not the case.   Clearly all of peewee's users
have moved on to bigger media.   As I shall, shortly.

I chose peewee *because* it wasn't trying to fit a floppy.  I looked
at many "embedded" sites and many were no good for me because of this.
I found the following on a website.  It's in a discussion between Ralph
and Adi:

  "Also, nobody is targeting the 3MB - 32MB systems."

So, think "niche".

>however, you can't do nothing interesting with it.

You can do demonstrations like showing that it works, and also to
quickly become familiar with which commands you didn't realize
you couldn't live without :)

BTW I notice that bin has the "real" versions of the programs.  It
might be that a busybox implementation would leave room for other
files.

>if you require floppy
No, I said I didn't.  Actually I have a Coyote router at home, so I
know what floppy systems are for.

>once you get a compact flash and start playing with it you will see it works
>very nicely.

I've got an sbc on order but until then I'm going to target a hard
drive.  The Adventure continues in next message...

Thanks!