[Peeweelinux] New - III

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:27:08 -0700 (PDT)

By posting these writeups, I won't lose them :)

3. pwlconfig

The first time you try pwlconfig,  you may get some errors,
followed by:
 Utility program "lxdialog" not found
 ( From (RH) /usr/src/linux type make Menuconfig
    then cp /usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog to ./bin)

What's happened is that lxdialog is (apparently) a utility that's
built by Linux's kernel-compile "make config" utility. The first
time you use it to configure a kernel, it discovers there's no
such thing, so it builds one!  After that, it just runs it (where
it must be lxdialog, no?) whenever you come back to change
something.  Anyway, if you follow the directions, all will
be well, and you can proceed with pwlconfig.

One error, though; Menuconfig should be menuconfig, and yes, it
knows the difference.

Note that this is all going on in your host system, and not
in the PWL package.  But when you copy the result, that
does go to ./bin, namely Embedded_Build/bin in your PWL tree.

3.1.2 pwlconfig
The first time pwlconfig is run, it will build a few things
of its own!

The first time I ran pwlconfig I was taken to:

"Create new project".  After choosing a name I got:

	No tar packages were found. Do you wish to extraxt
	 all binary rpms and create tar packages now
	 (recommended)?

(typo there, in 'extraxt')
After answering yes, rpm's found in ./src/RPMS/i386/ are extracted and
placed in ./packages/    This uses about 80MB.

Now we're ready to use the system.  Next I go to "Configure Project
File System" as directed.

Here's where I get into trouble.   I'm supposed to see "boot_system"
but it's just not there.   Things must have changed quite a bit
since then.   But since everything is probably "as needed" and I
expect it won't let me build an empty system, I decide to
forge ahead to the "go back to main menu" part and select "Extract
File System from Project".   I ought to get something pretty
small, or a warning like "pick a kernel, stupid!"

So I choose:
  Load File System onto Target /dev/fd0

I'm not successful.

 * * *

At this point I am going in about 5 different directions.  I have
tried to create a new project and build it; I have copied an
existing one and built it; each time I'm thinking I may get
a bootable system, useful or not.   Each time I get errors...
Now, the first time, it claimed it wouldn't all fit on the
floppy.  But successive tries haven't produced that, so I
will let that go until it comes up again.  More to the point
I get problems like no  /etc/ld.so.conf or /etc/ld.so.cache,
can't stat /lib or /usr/lib, ...

I think this is where my careful note-taking ends.

So I expect that tomorrow I'll be back with more specific
questions, like do I need to select a kernel, and is there
any interaction between the target kernel and the one on
the host (all this talk about libs and configs).

And then I can think about adding packages.

I'm getting there.

Barry