[Peeweelinux] thttpd web server Q+A, net-pf-10

Stefan Willmert [email protected]
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:58:09 -0500

I'm not exactly sure what loads modules.conf. One of the system startup
scripts catches it, which is then used by modprobe to start up kernel
modules. The "alias" command, I believe..is just simply that. another name
for which to call a module. Modprobe seems to use some standard naming when
trying to figure out which modules to load. Especially for sound modules.

In PWL, you don't need to use the alias command. What I did, was to put the
insmod commands directly in rc.modules since rc.modules gets executed like a
shell script. You can ignore modules.conf unless you are going to have one
of your startup scripts use modprobe to determine what modules to load. Not
as elegant as a full-blown system...but then if i wanted a full blown
system, i'd just install from the cd.

-stefan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Barry Gershenfeld
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 1:20 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Peeweelinux] thttpd web server Q+A, net-pf-10

>I don't know much about thttpd IPv6 or peeweelinux for that matter,
>but when referring to kernel modules...
>
>> to "alias net-pf-10 off".
>>

>usually means adding the line to the /etc/modules.conf directory rather
>than using a shell alias
>
>-Tim

Thanks for the response.  I don't need ipv6 and thttpd turned up
working, but I still am trying to find all the loose ends of
the startup scripts.

How does that "alias" think work?  I have "made up" explanations
for many things and while they often turn out to be right I am
always watching for that clue that I've got it wrong.  So I need
to know who reads modules.conf, and how the alias is handled.  I'm
thinking that it may well be a shell script, maybe it sources the
modules.conf file, but that would point back to the shell needing
to keep aliases....I think I will do some digging around in my host
system for this.

Barry