[Peeweelinux] kernel building problems

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:05:35 -0700 (PDT)

Scripts are a double edged sword.  They are great until something
doesn't work.

I did a whole kernel compile without ever seeing a command line!
It *says* it worked--is it that smart?

When I try to "Load File System onto Target" I get an error here:

 Copying the ramdisk....ok
 Copying the kernel....failed

There are a *lot* of scripts in there.   I haven't yet determined
how to tell which one does what (if that even makes sense).
More to the point, though, I don't see a bzimage in my
project tree.   Shouldn't someone somewhere have linked it all
together and compressed it as well?

Seems I have a kernel tar file in which the boot directory is
empty.   Lots of .o files, though

I have a feeling if I "build the kernel" again it will start
over.  I don't want to do that too often on this 166 Pentium.

I'm wary of trying to "build by hand" because of the "real" RH7.3
system with the 2.4 kernel -- I bet pwlconfig modifies
some environment variables before setting off on its adventures.

Barry