[Peeweelinux] Remote server boot system

Adi Linden [email protected]
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 13:26:10 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Jonathan,

This is an interesting idea. I've contemplated something similar, with the
additional thought of the server somehow falling back to this read-only
flash based system if the disk based filesystem is bad. However, I never
got time to take it any further than just the vague idea.

If get something like this working I'd be very interested in hearing about
the results. Below are a couple of answers...

>  1. Can I easily make FLASH disks Read Only, for safety.

I don't know if there's a hardware way of making the flash read-only. If
the system is running off a ramdisk, there would be no need to mount the
flash or it could be mounted read-only to access any content on it.

>  2. What is the difference between the PeeWeeLinux PCMCIA->IDE
> convertor and more expensive ones such as:
>
> http://www.magicram.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=CDSDDA-03&Category_Code=PCA

The adapters offered on the PeeWeeLinux site are not PCMCIA-IDE. The flash
card connector is meant for a CompactFlash card not PCMCIA.

Regards,
Adi