Can RPM still be used in this situation?

David Christensen [email protected]
Wed, 30 May 2001 13:12:43 -0700

I've been using the PeeWee Linux distribution to create a Linux file system.
The end result for me is a tar file with all of the files necessary to boot
and run Linux.  This works fine, but now I'm faced with the problem of
providing updates.  RPM has a lot of capabilities that make it useful in my
situation (PGP/GPG signatures, pre-,post-install scripts, etc.) but one big
problem is that the RPM database is empty.  I can manually create the
database with the rpm --initdb command, but since the database doesn't know
about any of the already installed files I usually get failed dependency
errors when I run rpm -i.  I understand why, but the question is how to best
fix this?  Would it be possible to add the current files to the RPM database
at some point so that new updates would work correctly?  Any thoughts would
be appreciated.

David Christensen