compact flash woes

Adi Linden [email protected]
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 12:48:02 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

On a Linux box I use a USB flash reader to do all the CompactFlash card
manipulations. This worls great whether it be a multi partition Linux
system with ext2 partitions and lilo or a ramdisk based system using
syslinux and a ramdisk image.

I have used the CF-IDE adapter quite successfully for installing syslinux
on a DOS formatted CF card. However, formatting a CF using the CF-IDE
adapter using linux fdisk seems to have its problems.

The trouble is very specific to using fdisk and the CF-IDE adapter. Once
the partitions are done I have never had a problem with the CF-IDE
adapter. I.e. running mke2fs, mkdosfs, lilo, syslinux, etc all works fine.

I have not come across any CF-IDE adapters that are hotswap yet. This is a
big disadvantage when developing. That's another reason I try to stick
with the USB adapter (Sandisk SDDR-31 works well) for loading the CF on
the development system.

If the system is to be ramdisk based I think syslinux and an initrd are
the way to go.

TTYL,
Adi