FlashDisk vs RamDisk+FlashDisk partitions

Andrei Bulucea [email protected]
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:35:58 -0800 (PST)

Happy New Year everybody!

While reading your postings I noticed  some
messges related to fsck/journaling filesystem
implementations for PeeWeeLinux.

How about having the folowing ramdisk/flashdisk arrangement
thus avoiding running fsck based on the assumption that
fsck gets invoked due to a *modified* filesystem, not corruption,
(CF doesn't get corrupted on power off)

1) I think it is quite possible to have your / partition
,read only, mounted on the FlashDisk and something like
/var mounted on a ramdisk. So your endless logging and
'scratchpad area' will be volatile, therefore each time the
machine crashes or is powered off, /var will be lost, but no
changes will be recorded on "/" filesystem, therefore fsck
will not be invoked.

2) Compress the entire filesystem into the FlashDisk and
then load it into RamDisk. This consumes more RAM, but it
seems to be the fastest, however costly due to the fact
that the compression radio is 1:3 and CF/RAM price ratio
is only 1:2...

Am I missing something? I prefer #1, Which one would you choose?

Best Regards and thank you in advance,
Andrei