[Peeweelinux] Problems running version 0.61 on Redhat 7.2 system

Steve Rodgers [email protected]
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 12:58:34 -0800

I have a few questions about PeeWee linux. I've been able to get the basic
kernel in version 0.61 to boot on my X86 embedded board using a 8MB compact
flash card but there are a number of issues I am tryng to resolve. I beleive
all of my problems can be traced to installing PeeWee on a Redhat 7.2 system
but I am not completely convinced.

First, the problems-

The kernel seems slow to boot (abt. 1 min). I am using a compressed bzImage
and a compressed file system  on a single ext2 partition with LILO. I am
passing append="console=ttyS1,9600n8" to the kernel
which should re-direct all the boot info to the ttyS1 device. Could it be that
the lilo binary in the Redhat 7.2 system is causing this problem? The
initialization sequence also indicates there is a PC keyboard timeout.
Since I don't have hardware for a PC keyboard, should I be looking here?

I can't seem to compile any custom kernel without the make bzImage failing
with a problem in checksum.s. Is this because the assember installed on the
redhat 7.2 system has been changed in some manner to not allow the checksum/s
file to be assembled cleanly? Is it possible to install and run PeeWee
version 0.61 on a sysem running version a version 2.4 kernel  such as Redhat
7.2 without modifications?

If modifications are required to make Pee Wee Linux version 0.61 run cleanly
on a Redhat 7.2 box. Would the procedure make it work be more painful than
getting a new hard disk and installing Redhat 6.2 on it?

Thanks,

Steve Rodgers
San Diego, CA