[Peeweelinux] Re: Using DOC

Adi Linden [email protected]
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:16:29 -0600 (CST)

Hi David,

> I would rather use an uncompressed filesystem (I know this adds some
> confusion), as I want to be able to save configuration changes and new
> files, etc... I do not know how the compressed disk is made, or how I would
> edit a particular file within the compressed disk... Anyways...

pwlconfig has an option available which will create 2 partitions on the
target device, a bootable  FAT partition with kernel and an ext2 partition
with an uncompressed filesystem which is copied into a RAM disk at boot
time. This option should work with the DOC.

> I am running pwlconfig from an HDD (/dev/hda) on the Wafer board with the
> DOC. I can mount and the pwlconfig works just fine.

I have never tried running pwlconfig on the same platform as my target, so
I never attempted to actually have pwlconfig load a filesystem onto an
attached DOC. I always used the intermediate step of loading a CF and
moving files from it to the DOC once its running on the target system.

> Can you set the target device as /dev/msys/fla1? How id your syslinux.cfg
> file setup? Does it somehow load that doc.b or something?

I think /dev/fla or /dev/msys/fla should work. pwlconfig works on the
complete target device, not a single partition. It will use fdisk and
filesystem tools to prepare and load the device.

> What should the root= parameter be set to in the syslinux.cfg?

Not sure, it's been a while since I manually tweaked syslinux.cfg.
pwlconfig should do all that for you...

> I am a little lost when it comes to syslinux. I was just so impressed at how
> easy it was to do with CF, that this DOC system is almost making me cry :(.

Yup, been there, done that. In my opinion getting DOC to support an ext2
filesystem to boot from is nothing short of a nightmare. I would avoid
that scenario at all costs. Keeping the bootpartition FAT and using
syslinux should be quite doable and fairly easy to reproduce once
succeeded.

BTW, I think you had asked me to be added to the PWL mailing list. I just
added you manually. Hope this is ok.

Adi