Newbie question

Adi Linden [email protected]
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:54:50 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

When you initially run pwlconfig no packages are selected. We hope that at
somepoint there'll be some predefined projects included that can be used
as starting point for your own development. Those predefined projects
would consist of a basic bootable system with some added functionality
like X oriented, router oriented, etc... But those are future plans...

For now you need to do all that yourself.

To give you a quick idea of packages required to boot:

filesystem
dev
initscripts
kernel of your choice

either:
-------
util-linux (it contains login)
mingetty (a small tty only getty)
sysvinit (contains init among things)
ash -or- ash-static -or- bash
glibc

or (still untested):
--------------------
busybox
tiny-login

This should get you to a login prompt. Beyond that there isn't much
functionality unless you add more stuff.

I did the list above of the top of my head and I hope I am not missing
something.

> boot-up drive), edited lilo.conf, and got a new entry. Rebooted, kernel
> loaded okay, but it then freezes after mounting the root fs read-only
> and enter INIT, displaying "Starting system loggers ....". Am I doing
> somthing wrong ... again? (very likely this time, if you ask me ... ;-))

Since service start it looks like /sbin/init is there and working. I
suspect you're missing mingetty or login...

TTYL,
Adi