Newbie question

Dr Jaime V. Miro [email protected]
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:24:39 +0100

Hi,

I just downloaded and got working PeeWeeLinux 0.51. (did the rpms to tar conversion that I read in the mailing list, and everything is okay now).
I have also learned from the mailing list that dosumentation is fairly outdated, hence part of my enquiry is probably easy to answer:

a) from the on-line (and .ps) documentation, I read the following:
"Managing Projects. The first time you run pwlconfig, you are prompted for the name of the project you wish to create. Enter a name that describes your project. For example (...) When a project is newly created, all the files in all the default packages are included. These should be most of the files required to boot your system to a login prompt. Try it and see!"

I did that, and it generated practically nothing (4K of code if I remember correctly). Am I missing something ? (likely if you ask me ... :-))

b) My next question is probably obvious by now : can I do just that in as easy way, generate a minimal system that will be runnable?

c) Since a) was not successful, and don't have the answer for b) yet, I selected a few things (filesystem and not much more) to see what the generated root filesystem looked like. It looked reasonable, so I copied the whole tree into a partition on my HD (which emulated the future flash boot-up drive), edited lilo.conf, and got a new entry. Rebooted, kernel loaded okay, but it then freezes after mounting the root fs read-only and enter INIT, displaying "Starting system loggers ....". Am I doing
somthing wrong ... again? (very likely this time, if you ask me ... ;-))

And I'll stop here b4 somebody gets very tired of reading me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jaime