Doc questions

Marc Wiz [email protected]
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:10:47 -0600 (CST)

Last month Matt answered a query in regards to using the DOC:

> The way I ended up doing this over all was to use pwlconfig to
> setup a system on a 16M hdd partition (the size of my DOC). I then
> 'tweeked' it get to get my moduals and everything else up and
> running the way I wanted.  Then out side of pwl I just copied
> everything to the DOC
>
> mount /dev/msys/fla1 /mnt/flash
> cp -dpR /<insert pwl partion name here> /mnt/flash
>
> I then put doc.b in /mtn/flash/boot and doc-lilo in /mnt/flash/etc
>
> I then had to reboot into dos to run there dos utils (dupdate) to
> update the firmware for the last time, and rebooted.
>
> I understand that this is doing things outside of plwconfig which
> is probably to be avoided, but it did work.  All of what I've just
> talked about is fairly well listed in the docs for the 4.2 version
> of the firmware on the M-Sys site. I typed all of this up from
> memory so I wouldn't follow it as a step by step but rather a guide
> to looking through the offical docs.
>
> If I can be of any more help let me know.
>
> M@

I have successfully built a kernel for outside of PeeWeeLinux that is
running on my system (GCT-ALLWell settop) that has an 8MB DOC.

I am using the 4.21 software from M-Sys.

I am able to successfully access the DOC as a DOS type file system.

I have some questions in regards to what Matt typed above.

The current PeeWeeLinux documentation which I understand is outdated
states to remove the DOC firmware.  Why does this have to be done?

What about formatting the device?  It mentions fdisk but nothing about
doing a newfs.

Can we use the DOC with an EXT2 file system?

Matt mentions about running M-Sys' dupate to update the firmware for
the last time.  Why does this need to be done?

The M-Sys documentation mentions their own version of lilo and that
it has to be installed.  I have no problem with this it is just I
want to understand if anyone has gone beyond the M-Sys documentation.

Thanks!
Marc
--
Marc Wiz