Newbie and X

Terri L. Fischer [email protected]
Fri, 15 Dec 00 11:45:48 EST

Hello,

I'm new to PeeWee Linux. Using 0.53.21 with the 22.cfg update, I've
successfully gotten the "minimal" example to work.  I'm now trying to
build up from the minimal example to get X windows to work.

I've looked thru the archives, but it seems that others doing X got
farther than I have before having trouble. I'm having trouble getting
the server to come up.  Presumably I'm still missing some pieces,
either from the X packages or files that I need to add to custom.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone that has gotten X working
could send me a package/file list that I might crib from or any
suggestions about getting X up in general.

My circumstances so far:

I've (naively) copied into custom my XF86Config file from the RH6.2
development system that's running on the same hardware and video
card/monitor setup.

After logging in to my minimal+X system, when I run 'startx' the
first problem I encounter is "Can't open /dev/mouse".  /dev/mouse
exists and is a symlink to /dev/psaux.

When I change XF86Config's /dev/mouse entry to /dev/null just to move
things along, the server gets a little farther - changes the video
mode, at least - but hangs or dies in such a way that a reboot is the
only option.  Ctl-Alt-Backspace doesn't seem to help.

Thank you for any help and thanks very much to the developers for
making this all available!

Terri Fischer