[Peeweelinux] rootfilesystem isn't free after flushing to ramdisk

Barry Gershenfeld [email protected]
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:05:35 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know if I have the answer but I have discovered some
more things after looking at your question.

First of all, the lilo.conf that is apparently used to generate
the target system can be found in the /Embedded_Build/tmp/
directory.  Any other lilo.conf files you find are probably
not relevant.  You guessed correctly in your original post
that the file doesn't do anything after the target is made.
It is only used to install LILO, and isn't used at boot time.

I ALSO discovered, in that same directory, the "linuxrc" file
that the make-target scripts often talk about.  And the
contents of that file are interesting:

  echo "Copying filesystem /dev/hda2 to /dev/ram2...."
  dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/ram2
  echo "Flushing buffers to disk...."
  sync

I said the other day this was built into the kernel--apparently
not!  I am still trying to figure out how this script gets
run before the real init is started.

Anyway, the root line in my lilo.conf reads like this:

  root      = /dev/ram2

also:

 ramdisk   = 9556

I can't be sure this is the answer for you, because none of the
lilo.conf files you have posted (including the "before" example)
show it this way.  But you can try it.   The number after "ramdisk"
is the amount of memory needed to copy the ramdisk to.  It can be
larger then needed.

I would have to ask: Which of the target configurations did
you use?  Are you not using peeweelinux to generate your
targets anymore?  Why not?  Do you need something they don't
do?  Once you set out on your own you will find you have
to understand almost everything...

Barry

>My root filesystem isn't unmounted after the bootup. It use to free itself
before I changed the kernel using lilo.
>So the script that sets up lilo in the PeeWeeLinux install program must be
doing something different in the way
>that it configures lilo I think.
>
>Below is my lilo file that works. Perhaps my new kernel has something to do
with it however everything seems to work
>fine apart from this.
>
>Can you see anything wrong for example should I be telling root that it is
at /dev/hdc2 or should I be telling it that