[Peeweelinux] software is for geeks; docs are for nerds

jim barchuk [email protected]
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:37:02 -0500 (EST)

Hi Mark!

> Is it possible that you were in the "root" directory initially?

> > Login as root/redhat.
> >
> > ls -l returns 'total 0'.

Bingo! :) Of *course* I was in /root. Set returned a nice PATH at login so
I knew I was basically logged in.

At the time I didn't *think* to *try* to go up the tree. I don't
particularly care how it works as long as I have an idea what it might do
when I push a button. I'd also swear that I tried ls -l /bin and similar
but I might be mistaken.

There're some strange behavior that screwed my head on sideways:

login as root
# pwd
Cannot exec /bin/pwd
# cd /
# pwd
/
# cd root
# pwd
/root

I also did have some truly faulty installs that allowed login but really
did have no filesystem (nothing in ~/projects/~/mnt) and that further
misled my understanding.

Tnx much. Have a :) day!

jb

--