[Peeweelinux] Compact Flash newbie

Kevin Brouelette [email protected]
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 10:00:35 -0700

Hello,
I'm new to the Mini/Embedded Linux/Flash media world and need some help, here's my setup.

Developing on a RedHat 7.1 with Sandisk SDDR-31 USB adapter, 8meg flash media. [/dev/sda]
I've been able to build a simple  project on the flash media from scratch [no PWL] using Syslinux/Busybox/Kernel.
I move the Flash to my test PC [an old 486 with a Compact Flash --> pcmcia..... pcmcia --> IDE adapter]  and it boots fine.
Now, I'm working with PWL and have setup a small project using default packages from PWL and I can extract the project to the Flash card.
I move the card to my 486 can  starts to bootup,  detects the hardware and then kernel panics with:

VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
Freeing unused kernel memory: 72k freed
Kernel panic:  "No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel"

I've used both Lilo/ext2 and Syslinux/fat16 and both reach the same error.
Looks like the root filesystem 'was' able to mouunt which when I search the mailing list archives, it seems that others
with this problem haven't succeeded with that step.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin Brouelette