Silent booting

Adi Linden [email protected]
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:32:31 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

> I notice that the framebuffer support is no longer enabled in the
> 2.2.17-basic kernel, but is in the 2.2.17-full. Is this intentional?

An ommission when I build the new kernel. The kernel will change a bit
with the next release. I will make sure that the basic kernel has frame
buffer support again.

> This would work, but it would be nice to be able to include an external
> file in the lilo.conf file. This might be difficult to do cleanly
> however. On that note, where is the lilo.conf file stored at that is
> actually used to install lilo onto the CF device? I'm using the read
> only root filesystem as a target.

The target load scripts create a Embedded_Build/tmp/lilo.conf file. This
is used to lilo the target device. The tmp directory contains other
goodies as well. There is a rd.log file that contains the output of all
the commands run during the target load process. It's a good place to look
for hints if a load failed. In a future release I intend to make rd.log
accessible ofter a failed installation attempt to aid in troubleshooting.
The tmp directory is used to store syslinux.cfg, ramdisk images, initrd
images, etc... Anything temporary created by the target build scripts. I
don't think I am cleaning up so those files should stay around until
they're overwritten by a subsequent run.

I looked at the custom lilo option deal I proposed earlier. I ran into a
'little' problem. The proper lilo command for debug (and other options)
is:

    append = "debug=0"

The quotes are a problem. Most other lilo options do not require quotes.
Since all the options are stored in shell variables the quotes get lost.
So I could add an option like:

    Additional Boot Parms:

Except how can it be made clear these appear after a pwlconfig generated
'append = ' statement?

Since the siletn boot is a desired option and an intended feature of PWL
it should be possible to enable it in pwlconfig... I guess another option
would be a mere:

    Show Boot Messages:

parameter that requires a yes/no answer...

Ideas...???

TTYL,
Adi