[Peeweelinux] Seeking advice for FTP or SMB server for embedded linux

Michael Shiloh [email protected]
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm working with an embedded Linux system and need to add the ability to
accept downloaded files from elsewhere. Ideally, I'd provide a Samba server,
so that Windows users will have a familiar experience, but I'm not sure what
issues come up in installing a full Samba server on a small embeded system
(I'm running out of a 128MB CF card). I've done a bit of searching to find
a minimal Samba server, and failed on that.

The best I could hope for would be that someone can point me to a minimal
Samba server, or a HOWTO to accomplish that.

Failing that, I will simply provide an FTP server and instruct my Windows users
to use FTP. Is there a FTP server designed for small embedded systems? The
popular FTP servers, wu-ftpd and vsftpd seem rather heavy handed, and I certainly
don't need the fancy features provided by vsftpd.

I welcome any advice or suggestions you may have.

Michael Shiloh
MakingThings