[Peeweelinux] Glibc linked binary

Ashley Rolleston [email protected]
Mon, 24 May 2004 12:50:06 +0100

Is glibc2.2 not backward compatible with glibc2.1? I thought that a program
compiled against 2.1 would still work using 2.2 glibc libraries? This would
mean I wouldn't have to replace every binary in the system.

I had this impression because of :-

"Since glibc-2.1.95, glibc is reliable enough and binary compatible with
glibc-2.1"
http://www.haible.de/bruno/glibc22snapshot-HOWTO.html

I have spent months on this system so the idea of starting afresh is pretty
scary! I have already updated the kernel and various other bits of the old
peewee system.

Ashley Rolleston
Software Engineer
ashley AT smartsw DOT co DOT uk

> > The only option I can see then is upgrading the glibc to a 2.2.x
version. Not quite sure where to start going about this, it's quite a major
job!