[Peeweelinux] Upgrading XFree86 in peewee

Troy Engel [email protected]
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:08:46 -0800

Hi Ashley,

My personal approach would be to grab a set of stock Redhat SRPMS that
contain the driver necessary for your chipset, and then rpm --rebuild
them on a Redhat 6.2 machine. Preferrably RH7.3 (as it's pretty
compatible with 6.2), but it appears XFree 4.2.1 is the latest ever made
for 7.3.

It's probably possible to rebuild the 9.0 SRPM on a 6.2 machine, but you
may have to tweak it a little. If nothing else, you could extract the
.spec file from a 9.0 SRPM, and use the compile logic to hand compile
the 4.3.0 on a Redhat 6.2 box then. I've done this for various packages
to backport to old servers, tends to work fine. XFree86 is a beast,
however - may require some handholding.

Then all you need to do is tar it all up to look exactly like the stock
PWL stuff, add as a custom package and select it. One would think it'd
be a drop in replacement at that point.

-te