[Peeweelinux] 486 Touchscreen Project Update : Peewee + Netscape + Flashplayer

Ashley Rolleston [email protected]
02 Sep 2003 12:13:21 +0100

Hi,

Here is an update on how my project is going (see previous posts for
more details of project specification).

Well after much messing about, the project is finally getting to a
reasonable state. After a major problem with the ps/2 mouse and a
bios/kernel incompatibility (ps/2 mouse was detected ok in bios, but not
assigned IRQ as far as the kernel was concerned...) I finally managed to
get the system to autoboot into xwindows. This was achieved by giving up
on ps/2 and using an old serial mouse on /dev/ttyS0. Although I have
updated the Xserver to SVGA, I am having a problem getting it to display
in above 320x200. After much playing with the xf86config file, the
driver still boots to this default built-in resolution...?

Netscape navigator was installed easily using the pwlconfig, and it was
a simple matter of tracking down linux flash player 5 plugin and placing
the files in the correct directory.

The network drivers needed changing for the National Semiconductor
DP83815 chip that my hardware uses. This involved changing the pwlconfig
to include natsemi.o and pci-scan.o and then modifying rc.modules.
However the drivers throw an error and need to be updated (the error is
known and fixable). To update the drivers I need to compile the relevant
.c (natsemi.c and pci-scan.c) files I have downloaded into suitable
modules to load into my peewee file system. How do I go about doing this
as I cannot compile on my target hardware (no gcc with peewee), and my
development machine does not have the 2.2.17-full kernel source headers
that are needed... ? (Am i making the right assumptions about
compilation here?)

The only other bit of tidying up on the project involves the
/home/autologin directory. Netscape by default attempts to create
personal settings folders in each users home directory. Autologin does
not have premissions in its home directory to do this so Netscape throws
errors on start-up. How can I automatically set chown for autologin, or
the correct settings so that autologin can create new folders / files
within its home?

Cheers,
--
Ashley Rolleston