[Peeweelinux] Help request booting IBM Netvista thin client

Michael McCallum [email protected]
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:22:09 +1000

--------------000701030405030006030101

Hi!

I've got an IBM NetVista 8364 TUS thin client I am trying to get
PeeWeeLinux to boot on from CF card.
The specs of the client are here :
 http://reviews.cnet.com/NETVISTA_2800_THIN_CLIENT_64MB_TR_8364_TUS/4507-3119_7-776185.html?tag=subnav

<http://reviews.cnet.com/NETVISTA_2800_THIN_CLIENT_64MB_TR_8364_TUS/4507-3119_7-776185.html?tag=subnav>(Sorry
for the CNet link - can't find the IBM specs anymore...)
This is basically a Pentium 266 with 64MB RAM on a custom IBM
motherboard with integrated SIS graphics chip.

I unfortunately have the Token ring version, but the machine does have a
PCI slot for an ethernet card.

I've read quite a few IBM FAQ's and deja comments that state it should
be possible to boot off a
Compact Flash card for this machine (the board has an integrated CF
slot, and the BIOS recognises a 32MB hard disk
on IDE0 in the BIOS when I plug in my CF card - which is a Sandisk as
required IBM)

I'm not sure I've built my CF card correctly as I don't get anything
other than "Operating System not found" displayed by the client.

It's also possible that I need to update the BIOS to a later version (I
have the server downloads from IBM to do this, but am having difficulty
getting  token ring hardware (without paying an arm and a leg for
something I want to use once just to flash the BIOS!!))
To update the BIOS requires PIX booting from the IBM tftp server and
then having the IBM software flash the BIOS.

I have tested this by DD'ing a 1.44" floppy image onto the CF card and
booting that, but I still get the same error. ("No OS found")

Firstly, has anyone booted the IBM 8364 netvista series from CF card???

Is DD'ing a floppy  image onto a CF card a valid process (I could mount
the card and see the contents of the image filesystem correctly on my host).

Are CF card images available for download to test my hardware so I can
rule out PeeWeeLinux configuration problems??

Thanks Heaps in advanve for any pointers or advice!!!!

--
Kind Regards
Michael McCallum

--------------000701030405030006030101

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi!<br>
I've got an IBM NetVista 8364 TUS thin client I am trying to get
PeeWeeLinux to boot on from CF card.<br>
The specs of the client are here :<br>
&nbsp;<a
 href="http://reviews.cnet.com/NETVISTA_2800_THIN_CLIENT_64MB_TR_8364_TUS/4507-3119_7-776185.html?tag=subnav">http://reviews.cnet.com/NETVISTA_2800_THIN_CLIENT_64MB_TR_8364_TUS/4507-3119_7-776185.html?tag=subnav
</a>(Sorry for the CNet link - can't find the IBM specs anymore...)<br>
This is basically a Pentium 266 with 64MB RAM on a custom IBM
motherboard with integrated SIS graphics chip.<br>
I unfortunately have the Token ring version, but the machine does have
a PCI slot for an ethernet card. <br>
I've read quite a few IBM FAQ's and deja comments that state it should
be possible to boot off a <br>
Compact Flash card for this machine (the board has an integrated CF
slot, and the BIOS recognises a 32MB hard disk <br>
on IDE0 in the BIOS when I plug in my CF card - which is a Sandisk as
required IBM)<br>
I'm not sure I've built my CF card correctly as I don't get anything
other than "Operating System not found" displayed by the client.<br>
It's also possible that I need to update the BIOS to a later version (I
have the server downloads from IBM to do this, but am having difficulty
getting&nbsp; token ring hardware (without paying an arm and a leg for
something I want to use once just to flash the BIOS!!))<br>
To update the BIOS requires PIX booting from the IBM tftp server and
then having the IBM software flash the BIOS.<br>
I have tested this by DD'ing a 1.44" floppy image onto the CF card and
booting that, but I still get the same error. ("No OS found")<br>
Firstly, has anyone booted the IBM 8364 netvista series from CF card???<br>
Is DD'ing a floppy&nbsp; image onto a CF card a valid process (I could mount
the card and see the contents of the image filesystem correctly on my
host).<br>
Are CF card images available for download to test my hardware so I can
rule out PeeWeeLinux configuration problems??<br>
Thanks Heaps in advanve for any pointers or advice!!!!<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Kind Regards
Michael McCallum
 </pre>