[Peeweelinux] DOC2000-ready kernel? (Was RE:initrd problem)

Stephen Lee [email protected]
24 Mar 2003 13:19:04 -0800

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 13:09, Mark Meade wrote:
> On Monday 24 March 2003 03:49 pm, Stephen Lee wrote:
> > I've compiled a 2.4.20 kernel with no modules and still have the same
> > problem. Does anyone have a DOC2000-ready kernel (2.4.2x) with no
> > dependent modules for PWL I could try? I want to eliminate the kernel as
> > a source of my bootup problem.
> >

> Stephen,
>
> I don't have a kernel handy, but I can tell you that I have been able to boot
> from a DOC2000 with a 2.4.19 kernel and the appropriate MTD options enabled
> (compiled-in, not as modules).  I used both GRUB and LILO -- Grub is my
> personal perference, but using LILO is easier under Peewee.
>
> In your first email, you mentioned that you used dformat or fdisk to install
> a FAT12 partition on the DOC.  If you are trying to boot from this partition,
> do you have FAT support compiled into your kernel?

Hi Mark,

Yes I do (CONFIG_FAT_FS=y). Actually, I ended up following your
suggestion and used the 4.2 DFORMAT and in the end it worked and 5.12
did not. Here again is the kernel error after lilo starts the kernel:

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
Kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
VFS: Cannot open root device or 03:06
Please append a correct "root=" boot option.

Is this a sign of missing FS support or a more fundamental problem of
the IDE driver not working? I wonder if I should try 2.4.19 instead?

Thanks,
Stephen