[Peeweelinux] nfs with peewee, kernel 2.4.20

Marc Wiz [email protected]
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:29:38 -0600

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:59:58AM -0800, Troy Engel wrote:
> Ken Emmons, Jr. wrote:
> >
> >portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out.
>
> I'm not an NFS master or anything, but don't you have to run "rpc.lockd"
> as a daemon on any NFS client before trying to mount a remote server?  I
> think portmap is for servers only, so that shouldn't be needed.
>
> On all my redhat NFS clients here, rpc.lockd/rpc.statd is part of
> nfs-utils, and has to be started before I can mount any remote NFS
> shares. I would expect PWL to be the same...?

rpc.lockd is for providing file locking on files in file systems
mounted via NFS.  It's been a while but I do not think you have
to have rpc.lockd running to use NFS.  Of course things could
have changed.

Marc who in a former life worked on NFS

--
Marc Wiz