[Peeweelinux] FTP server & Web Server

Daniel Purcell [email protected]
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:21:06 -0600

Emmanuel,

I'm running PeeWeeLinux 0.61.1 on my system, and if I load up pwlconfig,
and go to Configure Project File Syste->Network Servers, there is an
option for the thttpd server.  thttpd I think stands for Tiny HTTP
daemon.  That is probably the easiest way to install an HTTP server.

Another man that works for us here had successfully put a scaled down
version of apache on an embedded linux system.  He also compiled in php
support, so that we can provide dynamic content from our tiny linux
machine.  If you're interested in that file, let me know and I'll see
what I can do about getting it to you.

With the ftp server, this is what I'd do: download an rpm for an ftp
server you want to install (such as vsftpd), and unpack it using this
command:

shell $ rpm -i --root /temporary/directory/to/install --nodeps
--noscripts --force --nodeps --notriggers --dbpath= ./rpm.db
--ignorearch --ignoreos myftppackage-i386.rpm

That will put all the files associated to the FTP server into the
/temporary/directory/to/install .  Then, cd to that directory, and type:

shell $ tar cvf ../ftpserver.tar * >../ftpserver.list

That will create the tar file of the directory structure for the ftp
server, and create the file list.  Note, the name of the .tar and the
.list file have to be the same, except one be named with the extension
.tar and the other .list.

I would then make a directory in my PeeWeeLinux packages directory.  On
my system, I have my peeweelinux installed on the /root/Embedded_Build
subdirectory.  In that directory, I have a subdirectory called
packages.  cd to that directory, and make a directory called
FTP_Server.  Then, copy the ftpserver.tar and ftpserver.list files to
that directory.

Now, load up pwlconfig, and go to Configure Project File System, and
select the FTP_Server packages.  You should then be able to select the
FTP server you created.

Best of luck to you!

-Daniel Purcell