[Peeweelinux] loading sound modules

Correy Edmed [email protected]
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:19:07 +1000

Hi There

I have a soundblaster card with an ess1869 driver. I can configure it
using sndconfig and it works but upon reboot the drivers can not be
loaded up and I need to run sndconfig again to get the sound card to work.

By typing "modprobe sound" I get
/lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
/lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/sb.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/sb.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/sb.o: insmod sound failed

If I type "lsmod" before I run sndconfig I get this
Module        Size        Used        by
nls_cp437    3872        1             (autoclean)
msdos          5468        1             (autoclean)
fat                30688      1             (autoclean) [msdos]

"tail /var/log/messages"
kernel: Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen
1993-1996
kernel: sb: dsp reset failed

The file that should be loading up the sound drivers is
/etc/conf.modules
alias sound sb
pre-install sound /sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330

I then try and run sndconfig and during it tells me
1. PnP sound card was found Model ESS ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive
2./etc/isapnp.conf exists and creates a backup then creates a new one
3./etc/conf.modules esists and creates a backup then creates a new one.
4.It then plays a file which I hear.
5.It then plays a midi file which I hear.

I then re-type "lsmod" and now these modules are loaded and now the
soundcard is working perfectly
Module              Size      Used     by
opl3                   11432    0          (unused)
sb                       33876    0          (unused)
uart401              6192      0          [sb]
sound                 57496    0          [opl3 sb uart401]
soundlow           416        0          [sound]
soundcore          2596      6          [sb sound]
nls_cp437          3872      1          (autoclean)
msdos                5468      1          (autoclean)
fat                      30688    1          (autoclean) [msdos]

I now view the following proc files and find these lines are now added
/proc/ioports
0220=022f    :    soundblaster
0388-038b    :    Yamaha OPL3
/proc/dma
1:    SoundBlaster8
/proc/interrupts
5:        12        XT-PIC    soundblaster

/proc/sound (File wasn't there before)
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux PeeWee 2.2.17 #1 Fri May 9 04:12:13 EDT 2003 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: ESS ES1869 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.01)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3

Midi devices:
0: ESS ES1688

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

I can then rmmod all the sound modules so that it is the same as before
sndconfig and I am then able to insmod soundcore sound soundlow uart401
and sb.o and everything works again I no longer get the "init_module:
Device or resource busy" error when I try and "insmod sb"

However when I reboot I can load these modules - soundcore, sound,
soundlow, uart401, opl3.
But when I type this - insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330 - I
get this error message
Using /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/sb.o
/lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy.

QUESTION: How do I free up dsp or init_module so that I can load my sb.o
module?

I am really stuck here and I only have 1 week before my project is due
so any help is so valuable to me at this time. If it means anything I
will put you as part of my Acknowledgements in my thesis.

Kind regards Correy