[Peeweelinux] rootfilesystem isn't free after flushing to ramdisk

Adi Linden [email protected]
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:15:21 -0500 (CDT)

> I ALSO discovered, in that same directory, the "linuxrc" file
> that the make-target scripts often talk about.  And the
> contents of that file are interesting:
>
>   echo "Copying filesystem /dev/hda2 to /dev/ram2...."
>   dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/ram2
>   echo "Flushing buffers to disk...."
>   sync
>
> I said the other day this was built into the kernel--apparently
> not!  I am still trying to figure out how this script gets
> run before the real init is started.

The linuxrc file is part of the initrd mechanism. A really good
description of the initrd mechanism in in the kernel Documentation,
typically: /usr/src/linux/Documentation/initrd.txt

Adi