[Peeweelinux] Kernel Panic

Troy Engel [email protected]
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:00:48 -0700

Correy Edmed wrote:

> I don't have a Compact Flash to ide adapter so I have installed Redhat
> 6.2 on a hard disk connected to the PCM-3350.
> which means that my target system is hdc I am assuming ithat sda would
> be the default when using this adapter.

Sorry, not what I meant -- the PCM-3350 has a CF slot built right in, on
the underside of the board (flipside of where the power connector is).
This slot is recognized by the BIOS as "hdc" (secondary master). The
sda/sdb usage in my case is because my dev machine recognizes the CF
reader (on the USB port) as a SCSI device.

Looks like in your case you'll have hda (RH 6.2 harddrive) and hdc (CF
slot). Even easier. ;)

> to change any of the files what I do since everything is running in
> ramdisk I mount the partitions.
> mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc2 /mnt/cf2
> mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc3 /mnt/cf3
> And do all my changes this way that way when I boot up next time
> everything will have taken place.

For hdc2, you should really work on using PWL's built in "custom" files
ability; look at the PWL archives, and you'll see many examples how we
use the custom/ folder features to make core changes to the subsystem.

> Is there a command to flush everything in ramdisk to the CF card?
> Because all the changes are only
> made to ramdisk at the time so when I reboot the ramdisk is of course
> rebooted and none of my
> changes have taken place.

No -- a ramdisk is a compressed image which is loaded from disk into
ram; once loaded it's no longer tied to the disk in any way, shape, or
form. You best bet is to:

a) use the custom/ features of PWL to make core changes
b) keep editable things on hdc3 (/opt).

For instance, for my project I'll never know how the device will connect
to the internet until it makes it to a client site. As such, I rewrote
the networking subsytem to completely live in /opt/, and support PPP,
DHCP, static, CDMA and CDPD (GPRS coming) which can be flipped by the
end client at runtime, and "stick".

Another handy use is to edit the core PWL to include a simple
/etc/rcS.d/07local script like this:

   #!/bin/sh
   # run any per-unit customs
   if [ -f /opt/etc/rc.custom ]; then
     /opt/etc/rc.custom
   fi
   exit 0

Then, because this is run right at boot, you can have a sticky
/opt/etc/rc.custom script which does neat things (links in a new
/etc/localtime, sets the time/date, enables debug syslogs, whatever you
can dream up!). Handy for online remote field debugging, that's for sure.

-te

--
Troy Engel, Systems Engineer
"Now, Beakie, we'll just flip this switch and 60,000 refreshing