[Peeweelinux] Compact Flash

Ricardo Trindade [email protected]
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:47:47 +0100

I only disagree with the rh8 part, I'm running fine on it.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]Em
nome de Leif Steinhour
Enviada: quarta-feira, 23 de Abril de 2003 2:41
Para: [email protected]
Assunto: Re: [Peeweelinux] Compact Flash

Okay, a bunch of people have written about this, so I want to set some
things straight.

Here's what I think is going on:

1). PWL is probably having even more problems running under RH 8.x than it
did under 7.x. My advice: go back and install 6.2 (that's right) on your
development platform. You should be able to get it online, it will make
your life much easier.
2). This stuff about things not working on Compact flash is half nonsense.
IDE Compact flash cards are pin-compatible with ide hard disks (if you
look online they even sell header boards which route all the signals
without modifying them), so Pee Wee runs fine on both ATA compact flash
and ATA PCMCIA cards. There are some cards that are sold as "memory" cards
that do not have the IDE circuitry built in that will not work (as BOOT
devices, but fine for storing info once card services is loaded), but if
you get a card that says it shows up as an ide device then it will work
provided the card is working (flash drives can wear out). If you have
questions about a given card that you have, plug it in to a machine that
has the pcmcia drivers and utlities installed properly and see what
cardinfo/cardctl have to say about the device.

Pee Wee will automatically (thanks Adi!) do all of the partitioning, so
all you need to figure out is where on the development platform the target
device is installed and tell pwlconfig in one of the setup screens. For
compact flash and PCMCIA devices, either during startup or when the device
is inserted it should tell you, for instance "/dev/hde1". You can use the
dmesg command to show information about the boot, otherwise it should
print the info to your console during a card insertion. Make sure you're
not using your host drive as the target, or you will not be happy with the
results. The command df will tell you where your host drives are mounted
so you can check.
3). If you are installing pee wee on a Disk on Chip, then you need to do
more work, because the kernel you use must have the right drivers, and I
will refer the reader to past posts in the archives for the appropriate
info.