[Peeweelinux] Compact Flash

Correy Edmed [email protected]
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:55:12 +1000

Hi

I am currently at work experience and trying to set up peewee linux. I
have a PCM-3350 GX1 300Mhz Embedded PC and have a Sandisk 256M Compact
Flash card that I want to install the operating system on.

I have heard bad reports about formatting and partitioning CF cards and
this is where I am up to at the moment. I guess I need to partition the
CF card with a boot sector (hda1)  OS (hda2) and swap (hda3).

I have already experimented with the embedded PC using an ide HDD that I
have installed Redhat 8 on. The CF card just arrived and I placed it in
the CompactFlash socket and it is recognised in the bios as an ide
device however I have no idea on how to mount it.

While reading about PCMCIA I noticed in relation to CF cards about
"ftl_format -i /dev/mem0c0c" however this file (mem0c0c) isn't even in
my dev directory. Also after reading the man page for ftl_format I
noticed that you are able to create a boot secotor which perhaps is what
I need.

Any help on setting up the Compact Flash Card so I can start installing
peewee linux would be much appreciated.

Correy