[Peeweelinux] Almost working, newbie needs a couple of

Leif Steinhour [email protected]
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:02:19 -0700

On 2002.09.10 16:54 Barry Gershenfeld wrote:

> >My build environment is a Red Hat 7.2 / 2.4.17 setup with an
> >ISA PCMCIA bridge.
>
> Have I got this right?  Your host is RH 7.2  Your target is peewee
> with the 6.2 packages, but you have a custom kernel that's 2.4.17

Yep.

> >In my build script I've tried to include syslog and turn on as
> >much logging as possible but may have screwed that up.
>
> syslog is on my to-learn list.
>
> >loads the kernel
> >and gets it to a screen with a bunch of startup and routing (which is
> >strange because I've not installed any networking either in the kernel
> or
> >the packages) information but it halts there with no login prompt. I'm
> >guessing it's getting to a serial console?
>
> I would think it would go to a serial console (1) if you told it to,
> or (2) if it couldn't find the native (?) console.  Since you see
> all those messages it must be that it knows how to talk to the
> native console (an LCD screen?)
>
> >if there is any trick to getting regular bootup information viewable
> >after a boot I'd sure love to hear about it.
>
> There is a line in the scripts that checks for the existence of a
> file /etc/boot.silent and it looks like it would send output to
> /var/log/boot, otherwise the screen...That silent file doesn't
> appear so it should go to the screen.   Of course that is
> for the init scripts that run after the kernel has come up.
> I did put an 'echo "hi world" ' in one of the init scripts and
> it does indeed show up on my screen.    Now that I've looked
> at what it actually does, maybe I should try creating the
> quiet file and see what I get...
>
> Which part of the sequence is missing?

The only thing that I have in the /var/log directory is the wtmp file,
which is empty. This is probably my main problem, without feedback I don't
really know where to look...

> >2). (Intermediate) The 6100 has a dos 5.x ROM, so I think I have to use
> >loadlin as my bootloader: when I try to use the FAT 16 / ramdisk setup,
> >the unit won't seem to recognize the partition as bootable. Has anyone
> >used loadlin with pee wee? I looked at the FAT 12 partition that the
> >script is creating for the booting off of and it looks like something
> >similar is going on, but I think the norand hardware needs an
> autoexec.bat
> >file in order to get loadlin working.
>
> In the beginning I was able to boot my system using loadlin.  What I
> was doing was making a "floppy" (actually writing the fat12 image
> to a hard drive partition).  The resulting syslinux.cfg file has
> all the parameter information you need to construct a loadlin command.
> You put the kernel image and the ramdisk image where you want to
> boot from and those filenames are the ones you use with loadlin.
> I haven't figured out what the other target image generating options
> in peewee do; unfortunately I don't know of any documentation about
> that.  All I can do is select one of the Target image choices, let
> it make it, and then inspect the results on a running system.
>
> I don't usually offer such dubious help, but it's pretty quiet
> here otherwise.  Hope it helps.

Any little bit, this was much appreciated. I hadn't thought to fool around
with the syslinux.cfg file, I'll definitely try that out. And if I figure
out anything about the syslog files I'll definitely pass it on. Thanks
again,

	-LS