[Peeweelinux] embedded linux for robots... newbie questions

[email protected] [email protected]
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:53:09 CEST

hello,
I'm a french student in an engineering school and as in many of these, there is a robot club ("E=m6" if there are some french people here!) to which I participate. I am in charge of a PC/104 on which I'd really like to install linux. I have some experience (I'm far from an expert though..) on linux itself but not on embedded linux. I've read many of the mails of this list and found some interesting points. But what I would really need is rather some piece of advice. Here's an overview of our devices:
PC/104 board from 'rtd usa' (media GX 233, 128MB Ram)
sandisk 48 or 220 MB Flash card (PCMCIA card)
ATA adapter for these PCMCIA cards
Frame grabber and color camera for image recognition
Now for the questions...
1) I've had a look to some articles about flash devices, but these were generic. They talked about NOR and NAND flash memory types. Which is mine??

2) I noticed on another article that it would be worth using a JFFS2 fs for the root tree and ramfs for /tmp, is it true?

3) Considering the quite large amount of RAM, would it be worth using exclusively a Ramdisk?

4) it appears that the common way of installing and using an embedded linux is done thanks to a host. At least it seems to me it is necessary for building the fs. But as we will need to use the frame grabber would it better to develop our programs directly onto the PC/104? (by the way would it be possible to redirect information from the frame grabber to the host with somme parallel cable or so?)

5) I've heard about nano-X, should I try it or use directly XFree?

6) I thought of using the busybox (the glibc is so big), is it a good choice?

7) ..... we'll see later ;)
in fact it's not easy to define what optmisations I should do. Some guides refer to old devices and I suppose what we luckely have shouldn't be that obselete...

thanks a lot in advance for any answer that could help.

Fran�ois