[Peeweelinux] Package format / Sharing packages

Troy Engel [email protected]
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:49:14 -0700

John Murphy wrote:
> A big thanks to Troy for posting his howto
> for the 2.4 kernel on this list.  The directions are
> great.

Yay!  Glad it was of help to you. ;)

> Can I add any odd packages I need by simply creating a
> "sparse tree" skeleton filesystem with respect to
> / and adding the files, tarring it up, and
> adding a matching xxxx.list file?  I really don't want to
> learn the finer points of .rpms.

Yes, in my experiece it works just fine (I mean, shoot that's what I did
for the 2.4 kernel packages utils, and it works 100%). Again, the only
gotcha I've found is making sure directories are specified with a
trailing "/" to make stuff work right.

My problem these days is that I've customized so many peewee packages
for my needs, that upgrading to any new version will be just impossible
without tearing my hair out. Egads. (e.g. I ripped out the entire
networking subsystem and replaced it with custom configs that run out of
/opt/etc/ read/write ext3 partition).

For anyone that's interested, the RedWing CDPD modems from
http://www.airlink.com rock; if you're looking for remote IP
connectivity in the field with your embedded system, I've deployed three
of these (beta situations, middle of nowhere USA) and they're sweet.
Shows up as a simple modem to linux, stock pppd works great.

-te

--
Troy Engel, Systems Engineer
Cool as the other side of the pillow